Sunday, March 11, 2012

Of Masking Tape and Men

Hello! I've got just a couple of projects that I made quite a while ago and just realized I never blogged and the challenge ends in a few hours--cutting it close!

So, did you see my title? Yep, I'll be talking about masking tape...and men. But firstly, masking tape! The current Gingersnap Spicy Supply challenge (for the next 10 hours) is to use masking tape. I had NEVER used masking tape to craft with (aside from using it to label my craft drawers) and so I looked up some tutorials on Splitcoaststampers about using it. I found 2 tutorials that fascinated me and so I decided to make a project for both!

The first one is the tutorial on Faux Leather with masking tape. Basically, you place small pieces of masking tape onto your cardstock, trim the edges, ink the whole thing up, and emboss with clear embossing. Use your panel to create a leather looking background.

Here's my card~

Details~



Next time I'll use more ink--this looks too pale to me. What do you think?

The second tutorial I used was one that used masking tape to create a faux shattered glass look. The gist of it is to place strips of masking tape in a zig zag fashion across your card, paint or ink or color in the unmasked portions, wait for the ink to dry, and then remove the tape and add embellishments.

Here's what my panel looked like before the embellishments~

Here's my finished project (bookmark)~

Details~



So, there you have it! Some fun projects using masking tape!!! Now, of men. I sometimes feel that we as women don't cut the men in our lives some more slack. I was noticing this weekend that every now and then I get upset at my DH because he doesn't do something that I want him to do. Example: I have been craving Cadbury eggs and mentioning this fact to my DH. He didn't go and buy me some. I got a little annoyed. Then I realized that he's not a mind reader. And that men are literal creatures. He thought I was sharing, not hinting. I asked him to go buy me some (politely, of course!). He did! What a wonderful man I have!!! We as women get upset when the men in our lives don't take "hints" from us. Let's try and make their lives a bit easier by just saying what we mean, shall we? I think we'll find that our relationships will improve dramatically! ;)

Well, there's my two cents for the day--I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend and a restful Sabbath! Happy stamping! :)

6 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

I've never done this either Mynnette! You did a great job. I don't think it's too pale, sometimes subtle is better ~ but then again what do I know ;)

Jacqueline said...

Hee hee - I would literally have to drag my husband to the shop, point and then say 'I want one of those please' before he would take the hint!!
Great cards Mynnette - love the leather look - Jacqueline xx

Deb Neerman said...

WoWzA, these are fabulous! Isn't masking tape fun to play with?!? You totally nailed this challenge ... love your projects!!

Sending hugs!

SmilynStef said...

Both projects are fabulous ... love the soft leather-like background and the vibrant tag ... so very glad you joined us at Gingersnap Creations.

lainey said...

I think the masking tape on your card looks FAB just the way it si :) lainey x

trisha too said...

Mynnette, congrats on your prety card being chosen as a ginger gem!
:-)